Christ Church - Fulwood
The existing church building was constructed in 1837 with a plain Victorian Nave, and no side aisles. In 1953 the South Aisle was added and the Chancel extended upwards and eastwards by the architect George Pace. The North Aisle was added in 1983 by Pace’s pupil Ronald Sims. The church is surrounded by densely packed tall grave stones, filling the site, and the space between the church and the hall.
It is astonishing that this odd selection of buildings and spaces accommodates up to 900 people each Sunday, and throughout the week the hall is heaving with activity.
The proposals to drop some of the old graves, and create an entrance courtyard, create a glazed link between church and hall, and re-order and integrate the interior of the church space, will add so much space and usefulness to the entire site. Planning permission was granted in June 2018.